Getting my Yayas Out
I needed a little recreation after finishing the last oil painting, so I turned to media that I’ve worked with in the past and tried to work more loosely than I know how to in oils.
First I took photos of some sketches I’ve done over the past few months and projected them onto large sheets of watercolor paper (full imperial size, or 22 x 30 inches). Then I let loose with the watercolor. The first one came out about the way I’d planned, even though I spilled my water container all over it :
I wasn’t as pleased with the second, so I worked over it with pastel, but now I’m thinking of washing the pastel off:
And then I started trying to do a portrait of my son Damien, based on a photo I took in Borough Market last year when the two of us took a quick weekend trip to London. I took a shortcut by getting the main proportions up with a projector, but that didn’t get me through the painting process with no pain. This is very large for a portrait – and I kept losing the likeness from working too close to it. I’d think I was doing ok as long as I stayed close, but then I’d step back and it would be awful. This is getting closer to what I want, but the contrast is a little to strong. Still, I’m almost afraid to touch it at this point. Poor Damien was sick all last night, and I felt that I’d put a hex on him by painting him with such a pallor.
Now I’m ready to go back and attack another oil still life, I think.
Update – Damien walked by as I was posting this and said over my shoulder – “Not your greatest achievement, Mom!” I guess there’s still more to do on this one….